Wednesday, April 2, 2008

A Thought on Discrimination

I can't believe how many times lately I've heard arguments about which group of historically discriminated against persons, women or blacks, more deserves to have the next president come from their group. As if there were any contest.

When I was in medical school, and trust me back then there were very few of us (13/113 in my class), my roommate was a black woman, who had also been my roommate in college. I remember coming back to our apartment one day and complaining about how many people had asked me to empty their bedpans, thinking I was a nurse or a nurses' aid. My roommate struggled unsuccessfully not to cry as she told me a few things that had happened to her that day and ended by saying, "At least they don't think you're the cleaning lady."

Well, that kind of says it all to me. We're talking about apples and oranges, here folks. Yes, I didn't have an easy time as a woman trying to break into a man's field. But the indignities and hatred to which my roommate was daily subjected were in an entirely different league from anything I ever experienced.

Of course, these kind of discussions should have nothing to do with whom you actually support for president. Both candidates have fairly similar policies and agendas. Besides, Congress writes the laws, not the president. And it's not like most of us have the luxury of getting to know the candidates personally. What you can do is make your decision on the basis of your evaluation of both candidate's character and judgement and basic decency.



No comments: